Monday, January 28, 2013

ON ******* MEDIA (Zoé)


After reading this essay, I have a greater understanding of the effects media had on the world in the 20th century; but, I’m confused what the author’s definition is for “Post Media.” I need a different explanation for how “computer algorithms [will] create or manifest the forms of art.” Because, frankly, this sounds a little bit less like art and more like a science fiction movie. The authors definition is rather ambiguous, but from the final paragraph I believe that the introduction of the internet could serve this idea of “Post Media.”
The definition I found suggests that Post media is, “art that is made using electronic media technology.” Well that’s great and all, but I wonder how far this line of what we call ‘art’ goes. Because the term Media covers many areas such as newspaper, so does post media include this non-stereotypical ‘art’ form? 
The author gives two vague details to the idea of Post Media, both of which include newspaper’s internet cousins. First, the art is ever changing. Second, there is no “master or subsequent copies.” The first example that came to mind is Wikipedia, which is user contributed, edited, and constantly updated. It makes me squirm a little to put Wikipedia in the same grouping as fine art and radio (my two favorite things), but it is the 21st century version of an encyclopedia, and due to it’s ever changing nature, another news source. Unlike a Britannica or The New York Times, the pages are never sent to print. When the information changes the page does, and there is no value given into the first edition of the page. Because of these things it is the perfect and clear example of a Post Media art form. 
Now that that’s all cleared up, I do have a few unanswered questions. Is the definition of this author, and the internet source I found, popularly agreed upon, or is it still up in the air? And due to it’s collaborative nature, has anyone taken up the title of Post Media artist? 

Here's a video by Francis Alÿs. I really like this piece because the action itself is rather banal, but the background actions keep you engaged. 




No comments:

Post a Comment