Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Respond to Hovagimyan's article

After reading Hovagimyan's whole article, I like the idea that art is language and got a basic idea about the evolution of the media forms, but still can't quite understand what exactly is "generative art" in "post media environment".

First I tried to search on youtube and found some examples of generative art. Most of the videos consist of random images, and many examples include describing sound pattern using image. Then I found terms called "generative music"and "generative painting". People can interchangeably translate images into music or translate music into image. Though I didn't quite get what "generative art" and can't tell what it is, but I can feel it through those videos, and they look beautiful. Some of Mozart's music are great examples showing how generative music work because Mozart used a lot of mathematics in his music; it is still under debate because people don't know how exactly they work. Here is an example of "generative painting" I found online that people developed a system to  translate images from music.
                                  
However, I still can't quite agree with what Hovagimyan stated in his article "I do believe, however, that we are moving away from recording or what I term "Playback Culture" into a new form of generative art." Maybe it's because I misunderstood the concept of "generative art"; but since we treat art as languages, as Hovagimayan stated earlier before, then art should be able to store information and can be used to communicate. So far, most normal kinds of art we see now are still in these "recording" type.

Besides, since Hovagimyan talked about silence film in the article, here I'm sharing a silence film I saw in my film class last year which is my favorite. What attracted me more was the anecdote about this movie. Since it was the first motion picture, when it was first shown, the audience was so scared to see the train and they were afraid of being hit by that train in the screen. There are millions of examples of recording arts just like this film now. The recording form of art is alive, and they can be stored, shared, used to communicated. I feel that it is such an important form of art among human culture that it's hard to move away from it.
 
                           

No comments:

Post a Comment