Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Response to Art as Performative Enactment


After reading this article, I redefined what “performative” means to me, and I really like the part talking about “play” among the three notions: play, symbol, and festival.  In my mind, performative is no longer something being performed and recorded. It’s about the performance of the thoughts, converted by the physical movement instead of direct language. It does not matter who is seeing it, but it matters about how the audience perceive it.

Also this article answers a question I came up with when I first time read the article about the term “intermedia” before.  Is intermedia something also determined by subjective thoughts and experience? Not everyone has the same perception and impression when they are seeing the same art piece. This article gave out a solid answer: “…intermedia only exists or comes into being as such through the interaction between objective elements and the subjectivity of the viewer…the subjective side of the experience is essential and integral to the work of art.” And intermedia depends on our each individual’s experience and life, we are all having the different perspectives while seeing the same thing, and that’s the magic of intermedia.

Here I’m sharing a funny piece (seems like performance piece in my understanding of performance) made by Joe Wong, a Chinese American comedian who always makes fun of himself about his own experience when he first came to US. He was invited to speak at white house dinner, and also is invited to come to U of R in April. I still can’t tell what performance is all about, but at least get some sense about it after searching online and watched some performance videos. 


No comments:

Post a Comment