Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Rush Introduction

Before I start, what the hell is with those "abstract squirrels"? Like, I get that it's all subjective and up for interpretation but when I saw that I could only think of this video:



Okay, time for seriousness. I think the most interesting topic brought up in this introduction is how 20th century art was fueled by art's integration with modern technology, as one might expect at the onset of the technological revolution. Most interesting to me was the work of Cage, who felt that chance should play a larger role in the arts. It demands the participation of the audience. 
I connected this idea back to the generative art we were discussing last time, and on the topic of art and technology merging, I found this cool little app:

The technological revolution spurred a different kind of art, one which is experimental. In the video below, John Cage plays an amplified cactus with a feather. Yes, seriously. It's pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment