Monday, March 25, 2013

Chapter 2 - Kevin Silverstein

One particular part of the chapter that I enjoyed was the Personal Narratives subsection.  A personal narrative is a way for an artist to tell the audience something about them through different mediums of art.  In the case of chapter 2 the medium is video.  Bill Viola was a video artist in the 1970's and 80's that caught my attention.  He had a series of videos about, "his long exploration of the physical and spiritual self."  He used interesting camera effects to make things disappear or fade like in the "reflecting pool" below.
In the 1990's there was an increase in these personal narrative videos.  Cheryl Donegan created a 1993 piece called "Head" where she drank white liquid from a plastic detergent bottle and made sounds of pleasure.  (I found someone who filmed the film at MOMA on youtube where they made fun of it for how odd and disgusting it was).
I find a lot of the personal narrative videos very odd just like most of the artist's videos from Rush's book.  However, when I discover the meaning of these videos and how they relate to the authors life, I find them way more entertaining and compelling.  Although I may never make a video as weird as the ones I've seen, I fully understand why most of these narrative videos are that way.  All together I thought the chapter was interesting, but its hard for me to relate to a lot of the older, and more artsy video artists that are featured in the chapter/book.

No comments:

Post a Comment