Monday, April 8, 2013

Installation Art

I was really interested by the part about surveillance, and how when someone is watching TV, the TV also seems to be watching the viewer. I thought that an interesting take on TV was Nam June Paik's 1963 Wuppertal exhibition piece in which he projected distorted images off TV's and said that "TV has attacked us all of our life, now we're hitting back". I appreciate the message, however I think that the way in which TV has negatively affected people is their own fault. A TV and the power it has over us is our own fault as we empower it by turning it on and paying attention to it. So, instead of just ignoring the TV I think Paik is just empowering it and being contradictory to his own message. Even if we are watching distorted images they are still images that Paik put in the TV and therefore when someone else looks at them its just drawing us more towards an artificial image.

I am posting a short clip about the negative effects of TV on the mind, but I really think that it shows how people refuse to take responsibility 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXne72RyX78

No comments:

Post a Comment