Monday, April 8, 2013

On Installation Art

This section of the book has been the most interesting to me so far since Rush spends the most time comparing cinema and video art portrayal. Since cinema is what sparked my interest in video making, I am very interested in the dichotomy between the two. Before taking this class I was not so much aware of the differences between creating video "Art" and what is portrayed in cinema. Rush explains that it is important to create a viewing experience that is less based in the sort of "romantic" portrayal that the cinema gives you. I'm not sure to what extent I agree with him separating these two into such different categories because regardless of what the video's intentions are, the same people viewing movies are the same people viewing the video "Art" that is created. I understand that sounds abstract and may not necessarily mean that they should not be separate, but my point is that an artist is involved in both processes and I believe that the separation may sort of be like separating someone who does sketches from someone who paints. It is still art, it is an image portrayal, and digital progression has been making great strides to make both pretty similar.

I also enjoy how he talks about manipulating space. In installation art,  the way that objects are laid out affects the way that they are perceived. In brain and cognitive science, this is a common and well known study topic. The brain has a method of creating an interpretation for each piece of information as it comes into the brain, and the context that it is coming into the brain is very important for interpretation sake.

What I am including is a video on interactive installation video art. I think what the artist is talking about here is a good representation of how Rush speaks on the art becoming an expression of yourself. The artist wants the art to be an expression of him connecting to people and those people connecting to other people and so on. They are able to do so through the cognitive experience of manipulating their own space that the artist has created for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment