Sunday, November 10, 2013

Response to "Intro to Documentary"

I found this reading to be very informative and a great start to our next project. For instance, I enjoyed how it explained all six modes of documentary as well as present specific examples for each one. In addition, I liked how the author compared each mode to one another because it allowed me to figure out which one I would choose for my next project and whether it will be effective to my audience or not. As of now I am interested in the Reflexive mode because "rather than following the filmmaker in her engagement with other social actors, we now attend to the filmmaker's engagement with us, speaking not only about the historical world but about the problems and issues of representing it as well". I also like how this mode "is the most self-conscious and self-questioning mode of representation". Overall, when reading this article I was reminded about photography and how we as viewers are constantly trying to figure out whether something is "real" or "true" and if so, how close is it to reality. Therefore, as I think about our next project I want to make sure that my documentary is as "real" or "raw" as possible because documentaries center on the attempt in one fashion or the other to document reality. I think this video is a good example of what a Reflexive documentary looks like. It documents a woman and her reflection upon why coffee occasions are so important.

No comments:

Post a Comment