Monday, March 31, 2014

Documentary, the means of presenting


I feel I must say something about those poetic artisans. They are so interesting. Each of them is a combination of paradoxes. They are such amusing cranks that they design and present their brilliant thoughts and emotions with sincerest intention while in a most confusing way. Let’s take a look of some examples mentioned in the article:
If Laszlo Moholy’s Play of Light: Black, White, Grey (1930) (http://youtu.be/e0x730uP2yI) is an innocent piece filled with boyish naughty, then Thompson’s N.Y., N.Y.( http://youtu.be/ztxuCv5-4D4), it’s even difficult for me to find a proper word to describe. If there’s a word in English that can ever represent that there’s a person with a hole inside his brain, that’s it. Although I found that piece was surprisingly acceptable and entertaining to me, I could prevent myself from shaking my heads with laughs during the process. If we set B,W,G as a ‘romantic’, ‘gentle’ and ‘soft’ visual poetry, then Thompson’s N.Y.,N.Y is definitely strange, imaginary and with signs of mental/physical disorder, either brain or eye problem. This group of people is so amazingly awkward that they refuse to answer, deny the coherence and destroy the normal boundary of our daily world honestly and sincerely.

Well, let’s back to our common world.
Other types of documentary pay obviously much more attention on answering questions and making sense of one object, which seem more comfortable to me. I believe that ART do is needed by our society because it’s one of the most powerful means we have to present as well as observe. It opens a chance for public to pull their blinded and limited focus and attention to something important or valuable according to artisans. In this sense, artisans are also social reformers, since there do have lots of gaps in our society to take care, like distinguish in wealth, marginal groups, inequality, environment…

Here are three good examples I love:

A touch of sin(2013)






Microcosmos(1996)






The cove(2009)






No comments:

Post a Comment