Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Film as Multimedia and Suna No Onna (Woman in the Dunes)

Hovagimyan discuss film as a combination of other media, writing: "Film in particular has an axis that incorporates many media, sound, theatre, painting, photography, etc. in a multimedia presentation." (On ***** Media, 118).  Thinking about film as a union of various media, in combination with the idea of intermedia, reminds me of one of my favorite films: Suna No Onna [Woman in the Dunes] (Teshigahara, 1964).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdTEs5MHqoU
(The beginning can illustrate the degree to which sand is involved in the film).

I bring up Suna No Onna because it seems to me to incorporate not just photography, sound, theatre, painting, and the other media integral to most films.  This film incorporates the medium of sand.  I don't believe that any film set in a desert qualifies as having sand as a medium.  However, sand is so much a part of Suna No Onna, and is captured with such emphasis, that I believe it can be looked at as a medium incorporated into the film's core.  I am not necessarily saying that the element of sand makes Suna No Onna a work of intermedia (in fact, I doubt it does), but I believe that it makes an interesting example of the flexibility of the multimedia composition of film.


No comments:

Post a Comment