Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Expository Documentary

This article describes six different modes of documentary; poetic, expository, participatory,observational, reflexive, and performative. I found reading this article to be pretty difficult because I have always seen documentaries to be the same with regards to their mode. The distinctions among these modes is not that each gets better than the previous one, but the difference in how they represent what is on screen. The documentary in the link below is centered around Marilyn Monroe, her pictures, and who she was as a person. I believe this is an expository film because there is evidentiary editing, there are voice over moments when presenting her pictures, and it recounts her history. However, this documentary is not subjective at all! I was a bit worried about claiming that this documentary is expository because of this until I remembered the article stated that some documentaries embody more than one mode. Determining what are the other methods it encompasses is a struggle for me though, I think expository is the best one with how I interpreted the article. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ4fIUmhYZM (17:07)

No comments:

Post a Comment