Monday, February 9, 2015

Camera for Interpretation-Anna L.

For this blog post, when given the prompt of finding a moment in a film that I thought was shot beautifully, I chose a moment from The Young Victoria. I primarily chose it for the transition into this scene that unfortunately I couldn’t find anywhere so I’ll have to describe: Victoria steps onto the dance floor, in a medium shot, with the camera placed in what feels like the middle of the floor and Victoria seems to magically float to meet Albert there. We can tell that she isn’t walking, and based on the reading I’m guessing that ratchet might be the best way to describe the focus since Victoria stays in focus as she pulls forward and the audience is blurred in the background. Up until this moment the film is shot in a way that seems realistic, and while this article gave me a deeper level of appreciation for how any minute decision impacts the viewer’s perception, this moment stood out as a moment when I “saw” the camera, but in a way that I thought beautifully reflected how we experience time during adrenaline-filled landmark moments-like like time is suspended but whooshing past you simultaneously.


Another prominent technique is the moving shot that rotates around Victoria and Albert as they themselves rotate, and I felt that this successfully engaged me in the feeling of the waltz. At the very end of this clip it seems like the director plays with time by showing one moment (when Victoria drops her arm to Albert’s shoulder) multiple times from different angles around them. From Victoria’s perspective, this could be another sign of time seeming to stretch, or it could also be a commentary on how the audience viewing her all take different active stances on criticizing her?  In any event, I feel like the risks paid off in this scene and stood out as special, and the content and placement in the storyline allowed it to work well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiuloBasqf4

No comments:

Post a Comment