Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Origins of Video Art Yukun Liu

I like the point that he think how technology closely relates to video art. This is what I keep mentioning all the time, and this is the main reason that I’m really into these things. Technology shapes me as I trying to follow it. It’s probably the most important thing in the world now, in my opinion, even prior to politics. I enjoy trying new things because technology allows me to do it. For video art, it’s the same thing. It’s interesting that he talked about how technology developments in the relate fields have all had an influence on the developing aesthetics of video art by making examples like magnetic resonance imaging. I can see how MRI did it by its special perspective, and this is not an obvious example. Back to the start, it seems like everything started late 1960s. But video art wasn’t that popular and a common thing of life until mid to late 1980s. We can see how technology carries us to a world with video art such as from black and white to color. The major medium of video art would be TV with no doubt. Since 1940s, TV walks into ordinary families. It totally changed the way that people think of video art. Things that sound impossible years before can easily come true today because of technology. In my life, the commonest example would be mobile phones. Mobile phone was something expansive and cumbersome, most people use telephones in their houses. But right now, who really use their telephones? Mobile phones were becoming fancier these years. It’s a new way to view video art. There are so many things we can do on a phone now. Everything in my life connects to video art in many different ways, it’s an important element in my life.

This video was made in 1973 by computer, very early stage of video art: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8uvUtxIVow

No comments:

Post a Comment