Sunday, April 7, 2013

Installation Chapter

Throughout this chapter, there were a couple of ideas that really caught my attention. Firstly, the conversion context into content through an installation is crucial to know in order to understand how important setting up something is and how it can impact the viewers. I never really fully understood how substantial planning is for installations especially when these become the work of art. For instance Rush explains how some artists placed mirrors for a specific purpose, and the order in which monitors are placed can affect the mood of people. When these factors begin to affect the piece of art, being a video that is showing or anything else, they become the piece of art themselves. Now it is not only about what is being displayed, but also about how it is being displayed for it directly impact the way an audience perceives the work of art. Another point that I really liked about this chapter and that I kind of mentioned last blog was the exploration of identities. Bill Viola expresses: “My work is centered on a process of personal discovery and realization. Video is part of my body; it’s intuitive and unconscious.” The idea that many of these artists find themselves through the making of a piece fascinates me. As an artist myself, I completely relate to this statement for every piece ends up defining who I am. I recently wrote an artist statement for a self-portrait that I did about a month ago. In it I included this piece was a self-reflection that allowed me to learn more about myself not only in a physical aspect, but also in a spiritual and personal one. Every time I look at myself I find something new and continue to learn who I am. It’s like my pieces are my personal diary. And because I can relate to this aspect, I seem to appreciate and understand it even more. Bill Viola was indeed one of the artists that I felt more connected with. He was known for his spiritually centered pieces and sought to understand the relation between nature and men through his pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment