Sunday, April 7, 2013

Instillation - Kevin

Installation art is defined as an artistic genre of 3D works that are site specific and designed to transform the perception of a space.  This chapter in New Media is about instillation art and its creators.  One artist that caught my eye was Gary hill.  An American video and sound based instillation artist who has created many pieces from the 70's and on.  Hill likes to use large projections for his pieces like in Tall Ships.  In Tall Ships Hill projected images of people, some blurred onto a dark wall and when visitors to the piece walked into the corridor the people projected would then move (interactive).  I could not find this video online but I did find one of his pieces, Viewer.  In this video Hill's project is shown as he explains why he created it.
Personally I am very used to instillation art.  Museums like the MOMA or the Guggenheim, are mostly filled with instillation pieces.  Some I find ridiculous, ones that seemed too easy and random.  But many I have enjoyed and found extremely interesting.  At the Guggenheim there was an instillation piece where old cars were hung from the ceiling all the way down to the first floor.  Bars made of lights came out form the cars radially and the lights flashed on and off in order from within the cars to outside the cars simulating explosions.  This piece had my attention immediatly and I still remember it vividly even though I saw it years ago.
http://www.whitehotmagazine.com/UserFiles/image/Marika_Josephson/36_Inopp_Stage_One_Poster_3-5-08.jpg



No comments:

Post a Comment