Sunday, September 8, 2013

Response to "Video and Intermedia"

I thought the article was a bit hard to understand because Foster keep going off on different tangents when speaking about what intermedia means to him and how it is different from multimedia. If I understood anything at all from the passage, it would have to be that video is something that should be seen, rather than explained or described. And therefore, shouldn't be questioned as being art or not? I agree with Foster when he suggests this because the sole purpose of questioning is a type of art in itself. However, he says that the problem is not in questioning whether Breder's work meets "sufficient conditions for being art", but rather, that we forget to question the endless possibilities of what art can be and should be.

I found these clips to be very interesting: http://www.ubu.com/sound/dial.html especially Jim Carroll's excerpt from the "Basketball Diaries" (because I've seen the movie), Michael Brownstein's "Geography", and Brion Gysin's "I Am That I Am".

No comments:

Post a Comment