Sunday, September 8, 2013

Response to Video and Intermedia

     In this passage by Foster, the author touched on a few aspects regarding the difference between "inter"media and "multi"media and the connection to video. I liked the way Foster made it a point to differentiate the similar terms because it's something I never really thought about, but makes complete sense. According to him Intermedia goes further than multimedia by not only incorporating various types of art forms but allowing other media forms to pass through one another and intertwine instead of just being pressed together. Because of this reason, it makes sense to classify video as intermedia because it serves as a vehicle to present other types of media to the viewer.
According to Foster, video is an extension of us. I completely agree with this point and is one of the things that caught my interest in video. It is such a diverse tool that can express so many emotions, stories, or be used to recall memories or significant events. It gives us a chance to capture anything and manipulate it to present our own opinions. Foster defined video as an “extension of the nervous system” which was an interesting concept to picture in my mind, just picturing our nervous system extending through the video to the viewer. Video is compelling and attracts viewers and invites them to witness an event the way someone else experienced it. I guess that’s why I get really invested when I’m watching movies to the point where my body pretty much immobilizes and I just get lost in what I’m watching.
     
One thing I didn't quite understand with this article was the point Foster makes about how "intermedia implies being political." I didn't think this point was explained very well because it seemed to just be thrown in the paragraph. Anyone else know where he was going with that?

Also with exploring uvuweb, I found this one clip http://ubumexico.centro.org.mx/sound/Blood_Stereo/Various-Tracks/Stereo_Blood_The-Brain-Made-Out-Of-Gas_Split-With-Pod-Blotz_2007.mp3 that I really liked. It has a very sinister and creepy feel to it that caught my attention.

-Marisa Guerin

No comments:

Post a Comment