Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Response to The Origins of Video Art

I really enjoyed reading this article. For one thing, I liked how Chris described the story of Paik's performance when he cuts off John Cage's bow-tie. In addition, this article really made me think about the time when VHS was all that we had and how some of the VHS tapes that my family and I recorded are now lost forever because we never tried to retrieve it. I agree that television has helped video to stay alive because of sound and music. However I think that the rest of what television isn't helping at, the way video can visually show things that we normally wouldn't consider to be art; for instance what Paik did with sound and distorting TV hardware, is ultimately what is keeping it alive. This video is about promoting an interesting idea of using HDR in video."HDR Video provides filmmakers with many exciting new opportunities. Not only can HDR video create interesting effects, it can also allow for even exposure where artificial lighting is unavailable or impractical. For example, when a subject is backlit, one camera could be set to properly expose the subject, the other the sky, resulting in video with perfect exposure throughout."I think this relates to the passage because it describes the essence of how new technology is altering video as an art form. When I watched this video it seems to me like HDR makes images look more futuristic and roboty (I made up my own word lol).
        
HDR Video Demonstration Using Two Canon 5D mark II's from Soviet Montage on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment