Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Intro to Doc

I found the article very informative, as I was not previously familiar with the six different "modes" of documentary. I actually had to read the same article for one of my film classes since we are also starting our documentary unit. We were assigned to watch Michael Moore's Bowling for Columbine, which definitely embodies the expository mode. What I liked most about the film was the effective use of humor to emphasize its argument.
The documentary I've seen most recently is Taxi to the Dark Side, a powerful film that provides an in-depth look at the US torture practices in Afghanistan, Iraq, and Guantanamo Bay. The film is also expository; there is a "voice of God" commentary that directly addresses the viewer, interview segments, and photos/footage from the events. I enjoyed this film because though it can be hard to watch due to the nature of the events it exposes, it is very well edited and provides a lot of genuine evidence that sheds light on our military's horrible, inhumane war practices.


No comments:

Post a Comment