Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Intro to Documentary


I have always thought of documentarians as striving to maintain objectivity (regardless of personal bias) but this reading made me reevaluate the degree to which a filmmaker can assert bias and opinion. While documentaries can be purely observational they can also have an agenda that specific shots and editing choices help to reinforce, manipulating viewers on a subconscious level. I was excited to see The Man With a Movie Camera cited as an example of how realities can be constructed through visual associations and montages, as I have seen this film and experienced its effects. I was also glad to see the mention of Triumph of the Will, as it too uses a historical reality as a base of construction to plant seeds in viewers’ minds. This documentary style opposes the aesthetics and purposes of observational documentaries. Narration and voiceovers are another way documentarians more overtly insert their opinions. This reading comments on a documentary style I especially appreciate, documentaries that make me question a certain status quo and leave me thinking after the credits roll. I also connected the discussion of participatory observation to my interests in film and anthropology, imagining the combination could create powerful understandings of new cultures and environments and allow these enriched perspectives to be shared with a wider audience.

Man With a Movie Camera:

Triumph of the Will:




No comments:

Post a Comment